The post of Lecturer in Art & Design/ Environmental Design/ Visual Communication Design/ Animation will be focused on delivery at one of our partner institutions in Wuhan, Fuzhou or Lanzhou, China. It is envisaged that the post holder will spend their work time in China – where all teaching will be in English.
The post holder will be under the line management of the Academic Director (Creative Industries) but for operational day-to-day duties will work under the guidance of the relevant Programme and Partnership team leaders as well as working closely with Chinese colleagues.
As with all teaching posts at the university, the post holder will be required to devise a range of teaching and assessment materials, covering several modules and subject areas. The post holder will deliver teaching in a variety of different learning environments and use a variety of teaching styles and approaches, including all levels of undergraduate study and, where appropriate, postgraduate study. The post holder will offer both academic and pastoral feedback and support to students to the highest professional standards and with regard to the ongoing enhancement of the student experience. The post holder will undertake scholarship, research, training or project work, either individually or within a team, to ensure ongoing professional development and to enhance the profile of the Academic Discipline, Institute and University. The post holder will make a positive contribution to the day-to-day activities of the Academic Discipline that may cover areas such as dissertation supervision, student recruitment, marketing activities, research seminars and workshops, staff training and professional development.
• Offer teaching and student support at undergraduate and postgraduate level of study, either individually or as a member of a teaching team
• Offer teaching in a variety of learning settings, from seminar and small group tutorials, to large lectures, workshops or placements, using appropriate and engaging teaching styles, within an established programme of study
• Design and develop teaching materials, assessment methods and criteria, for individual modules or modules within a specific subject area, with a clear awareness and understanding of relevant quality assurance requirements
• Supervise the work of students in a timely, professional and supportive manner, providing necessary advice on study skills, research methods, assessment and dissertation work
• Offer appropriate advice, feedback, support, and encouragement to students, in both an academic and personal tutor role, to ensure a high quality student experience
• Undertake relevant scholarly and research activity, either as part of a collaborative project or individually, as a means of updating knowledge in an appropriate specialism and underpinning effective learning and teaching
• Engage in continuing professional development and enhancement through, for example: gaining membership of the Higher Education Academy; relevant University staff development; or membership of a relevant professional body
• Undertake appropriate administrative tasks to ensure the effective operation and management of the curriculum and, at the request of a line manager.
• Be an active and enthusiastic member of the Academic Discipline, working collaboratively with colleagues in China and the UK, participating in school boards and staff-student committees, attending, where appropriate, Institute working groups and committees, and making a positive contribution to the overall culture and environment of the Academic Discipline in both locations.